DataFox Top 5 Audio Streaming Startups of 2014
Deezer is an online platform and app that provides songs from a variety of genres. The platform enables its users to access its database of songs through its website or by downloading the app and listening to music. Users can choose between a free service that includes ads and a premium service that is ad-free.
- DataFox Score: 1061
- Location: Paris, France
- Total Funding: $149.3 million
- Recent Funding: $130 million in October 2012
- Investors: Access Industries, CM CIC Capital Drive, IDInvest Partners, Dotcorp Asset Management
Spotify is a commercial music streaming service that provides restricted digital content from a range of record labels and artists. Users can create, share, and edit playlists with other users. Spotify's radio feature creates random playlists for its users that are related to preferred artists. Users are also able to connect their Spotify profiles to their Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- DataFox Score: 1135
- Location: Stockholm, Sweden
- Total Funding: $537.78 million
- Recent Funding: $250 million in November 2013
- Investors: Technology Crossover Ventures, AFSquare, The Coca-Cola Company, Fidelity Ventures, Lakestar, Goldman Sachs, 137 Ventures, Digital Sky Technologies, Kleiner Perkins, Kleiner Perkins, Caufield & Byers, Accel Partners
SoundCloud is a social sound platform where users can create sounds and share them. Recording and uploading sounds to SoundCloud lets users share them privately with their friends or publicly to blogs, sites and social networks. SoundCloud offers free accounts as well as premium accounts for advanced features like statistics, controlled distribution and custom branding.
- DataFox Score: 1034
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Total Funding: $123.32 million
- Recent Funding: $60 million in January 2014
- Investors: German Startups Group, GGV Capital, Institutional Venture Partners, The Chernin Group, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, ENIAC Ventures
TuneIn is a streaming service that allows users to listen to sports, news, talk shows, and music. TuneIn can be use on over 200 different devices including smartphones, game consoles, and tablets. Users are able to create branded profiles with their own content so that other users can follow and interact with them.
- DataFox Score: 1066
- Location: Palo Alto, CA
- Total Funding: $50.15 million
- Recent Funding: $25 million in May 2013
- Investors: Google Ventures, General Catalyst Partners, Institutional Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, JAFCO Ventures, Startup Capital Ventures
Rdio is a music service that is used to search for and instantly play songs, albums, artists or playlists. Users can choose between free streaming that includes ads or paid streaming that has no ads. In addition, users can share their music and follow other users' profiles.
- DataFox Score: 1069
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Total Funding: $125.7 million
- Recent Funding: $25 million in March 2014
- Investors: Atomico, Mangrove Capital Partners, Skype