Grocery delivery service Instacart raised $220 million in funding this week. The funding round was led by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, along with other investors including Comcast Ventures, the Dragoneer Investment Group, Thrive Capital, Valiant Capital, and Instacart's previous backers, Andreessen Horowitz, Khosla Ventures, and Sequoia Capital.
7 Instacart Competitors Redefining Grocery, Meal, and Recipe Delivery Services
At DataFox, we compile and curate watchlists across sectors, regions, and popular lists of top companies (e.g., Food Delivery Services). We feature Instacart and 7 other private companies providing grocery, meal, and recipe delivery services:
Instacart is a same-day grocery delivery startup offering delivery in as little as one hour. Focused on delivering groceries and home essentials, Instacart already has over 500,000 items from local stores in its catalogue. Customers can choose from a variety of local stores including Safeway, Whole Foods, Super Fresh, Harris Teeter, Shaw's, Mariano's, Jewel-Osco, Stanley's and Costco. Customers can mix items from multiple stores into one order.
- DataFox Score: 1030
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Total Funding: $275 million
- Recent Funding: $220 million in January 2015
- Investors: Canaan Partners; Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers; Khosla Ventures; Sequoia Capital; Andreessen Horowitz Canaan Partners
FreshDirect is an online grocer that delivers to residences and offices in the New York City metropolitan area. It also offers next-day delivery to much of New York City and parts of Nassau and Westchester Counties, New York;Fairfield County, Connecticut; Hoboken, Newark, and Jersey City; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company was founded by former food broker Joe Fedele and Jason Ackerman, a former investment banker who specialized in the grocery industry. FreshDirect custom-prepares groceries and meals for its customers, a manufacturing practice called Just In Time that reduces waste and improves quality and freshness.
- DataFox Score: 1058
- Location: Long Island City, NY
- Total Funding: $91 million
- Recent Funding: $10 million in April 2014
Hellofood is an online food delivery portal that enables its customers to order food from the best restaurants and get it delivered to their homes. With an extensive collection of nearly 1000 restaurants available in 5 cities, including Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Nha Trang, and Da Nang, Hellofood is a one-stop food delivery service for all. Hellofood enables its customers to order food from popular international chains such as Pizza Hut, Namaste Indian Food, Joma Bakery, Hanoi, MOCHI Sweets, Subway Vietnam, and more. Hellofood is also available as a free application for Android and iOS devices.
- DataFox Score: 1040
- Location: Berlin
- Total Funding: $108 million
- Recent Funding: $60 million in August 2014
- Investors: Rocket Internet; Falcon Edge Capital; Investment AB Kinnevik; Phenomen Ventures
Munchery is reinventing the weeknight dinner, and making it ridiculously easy to put a delicious, healthy meal on the table. Order wholesome prepared dinners, handmade by top local chefs using only the highest-quality ingredients, for same-day deliver to your home or office each weeknight. With new menus each weekday, you'll discover fresh options for dinner every night, including options for all kinds of eaters, like vegetarian, kids, low-carb, wheat-free and more. All made fresh from scratch each day by the best chefs in town.
- DataFox Score: 1037
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Total Funding: $39.9 million
- Recent Funding: $28 million in April 2014
- Investors: Roadstruck; Sherpa Ventures; e.ventures; Menlo Ventures
Blue Apron is a New York-based start-up that is changing the way people cook at home. Blue Apron's weekly subscription service delivers everything you need to make fresh meals. Blue Apron goes shopping for our customers at wholesale, and deliver all the ingredients in exactly the right proportions, along with beautifully printed recipe cards.
- DataFox Score: 1035
- Location: New York, NY
- Total Funding: $58 million
- Recent Funding: $50 million in April 2014
- Investors: Stripes Group; First Round Capital; Bessemer Venture Partners; BoxGroup
Plated is redefining weeknight dinner. Through weekly chef-designed menus, Plated helps America eat and live better. Discover a new menu each week and gain access to desserts and Chef’s Table recipes. Plan out your week, or sit back and we’ll choose for you! Your subscription is flexible and you can skip deliveries anytime.
- DataFox Score: 987
- Location: New York, NY
- Total Funding: $21.4 million
- Recent Funding: $15 million in August 2014
- Investors: Slow Ventures; Kite Ventures; Great Oaks Venture Capital; Lerer Ventures; ff Venture Capital; Formation 8; Greycroft Partners
Good Eggs is driven by their mission to grow and sustain local food systems worldwide. Good Eggs connects you to local farmers and foodmakers. You shop for exactly what you want, and they deliver it all to your door.
- DataFox Score: 1064
- Location: San Carlos, CA
- Total Funding: $31.5 million
- Recent Funding: $21 million in September 2014
- Investors: Index Ventures; Sequoia Capital; Collaborative Fund; Harrison Metal
HelloFresh is a new way to cook. Every week, you can pick the delicious recipes you want to try, and HelloFresh will send you amazing recipes and all of the ingredients you need to prepare them. HelloFresh takes care of your meal planning and even do the shopping for you.