Privately held online education provider lynda.com received $186 million in a funding round led by TPG Capital, along with existing lynda.com investors including Accel Partners, Spectrum Equity, and Meritech Capital. Lynda.com indicated the financing will go toward potential acquisitions, growth initiatives, and continued hiring.
5 Lynda.com Competitors Expanding Online Education Courses and Offerings
At DataFox, we compile and curate watchlists across sectors, regions, and popular lists of top companies (e.g., Education). We feature lynda.com and 5 other private companies creating online education solutions:
Lynda.com is an online education provider that offers thousands of video courses in software, creative, and business skills to students worldwide. The company was founded in 1995 and provides users with access to video tutorials that were produced by industry experts. To date, lynda.com offers 5,799 video tutorials, along with courses for students of all levels.
- DataFox Score: 1120
- Location: Carpinteria, California
- Total Funding: $289 million
- Recent Funding: $186 million in January 2015
- Investors: TPG Capital; Accel Partners; Spectrum Equity; Meritech Capital
Knewton is an adaptive learning company with a platform to personalize educational content. The Knewton platform makes it possible for anyone to build applications that provide real-time proficiency estimation, activity recommendations, analytics, and more. The world’s largest and most innovative learning companies use Knewton technology to improve learning outcomes in K–12, higher education, English language teaching, corporate training, and other markets. Knewton has been recognized globally as a “Technology Pioneer” (World Economic Forum in Davos) and one of the world’s “50 Most Innovative Companies” (Fast Company).
- DataFox Score: 1069
- Location: New York, New York
- Total Funding: $105 million
- Recent Funding: $51 million in December 2013
- Investors: First Round Capital; FirstMark Capital; Accel Partners; Bessemer Venture Partners; Founders Fund; Silicon Valley Bank; GSV Capital;Atomico
Udacity is focused on building the “University by Silicon Valley,” a new type of online university that teaches the actual programming skills that industry employers need today. It focuses on providing education at a fraction of the cost and time of traditional schools too. Udacity offers students nano-degree credentials that are designed to help professionals become web developers, data analysts, or mobile developers.
- DataFox Score: 1065
- Location: Mountain View, California
- Total Funding: $55 million
- Recent Funding: $35 million in September 2014
- Investors: Recruit Holdings; Charles River Ventures; Andreessen Horowitz; Cox Enterprises; Valor Capital Group; Bertelsmann; Drive Capital
Udemy is the world’s largest marketplace for teaching and learning. Tens of thousands of expert instructors have published online courses on Udemy on everything from programming to yoga, marketing to guitar, photography to cake decorating, and much more. Millions of students in 190+ countries are taking these courses to advance their careers and pursue their passions.
- DataFox Score: 1058
- Location: San Francisco, California
- Total Funding: $48 million
- Recent Funding: $32 million in May 2014
- Investors: MHS Capital; Insight Venture Partners; Norwest Venture Partners
Voxy is a personalized and adaptive language learning platform that uses sophisticated technology, live tutors, and state-of-the-science pedagogical principles to teach English learners worldwide. Voxy leverages its proprietary technology to turn real-world, authentic content into contextual learning activities. Voxy’s adaptive platform creates custom, engaging curricula for English language learners based on their interests, routines, goals, learning styles, and usage behavior.
- DataFox Score: 1000
- Location: New York, New York
- Total Funding: $18.8 million
- Recent Funding: $10.7 million in June 2013
- Investors: Seavest Capital Partners; Partnership Fund for New York City;Weld North; ff Venture Capital; Contour Venture Partners; Pearson;Rethink Education
Schoolwires provides strategic online communication, community-management and productivity solutions to the K-12 education market. The company's core product is SchoolwiresCentricityTM, which brings together robust and flexible website management, community management and web 2.0/social network capabilities in a single, user-centric solution. Schoolwires also delivers SchoolwiresSynergyTM, a digital file sharing solution, Schoolwires AssistTM, a service request solution, and SchoolwiresShare(TM), an exclusive online client community and support center.
- DataFox Score: 1060
- Location: State College, PA
- Total Funding: $12 million
- Recent Funding: $12 million in January 2009
- Investors: Kennet Venture Partners